Congratulations on your admission to CESL! We are excited to have you join us. Please review the following information to ensure a smooth transition into our program. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
Transportation to CESL
The Center for English as a Second Language (CESL), University of Arizona has contracted with Latrikunda Transport Services (LTS) to provide shuttle services for incoming CESL students who are flying into Tucson International Airport (TIA). CESL students must present their CESL Admission letter to the LTS desk in order to get a free ride to their destination. The Latrikunda shuttles have limited cargo space. Please limit your luggage to 2 pieces plus one personal item. If you bring additional luggage, you will pay an extra fee to Latrikunda Shuttle Service. You may also incur additional fees if there are less than 3 CESL students in the shuttle.
- In order to reserve a shuttle prior to coming to Tucson, please email or text Latrikunda Transportation Shuttle with the following CESL student information (firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-991-5906):
- Name of the student
- Date of the student's arrival
- Student's flight number
Below are step by step instructions and a video on how to find the LTS shuttle:
- Once you get off your plane, go downstairs to the Baggage Claim area to claim your bags.
- When you have claimed your bags, proceed to the Latrikunda Transport Services desk near Baggage Claim 5 (airport layout).
- First, show your CESL admission letter to LTS staff at the LTS ticket counter. (Showing your CESL admission letter is REQUIRED in order for CESL to pay for your shuttle trip to the University area)
- LTS staff will then escort you to the shuttle area, where you will be picked up by the LTS shuttle.
- The shuttle will then take you to the University area or directly to your housing.
Students are expected to report and register at CESL on the I-20 report date. If you cannot arrive on the arrival date, please contact CESL admissions office for advice. You will need to defer to the next available session.
- New students who arrive on or after Friday of intake week will be charged a late orientation fee of $50.
- Late tuition fee: 10% of tuition. Applicable to new, returning, and continuing students who have not paid tuition by 5:00 PM on Thursday of intake week.
If a full time student fails to enroll on time and accumulates excessive absences, his/her I-20 will be terminated and they will be dismissed from CESL.
Orientation Schedule for upcoming session [upload current orientation doc] CESL has specific days of REQUIRED orientation, and you MUST register and test before you begin and participate in these orientations. Please check the orientation schedule for the next session to see detailed information
- Monday or Tuesday: Registration and fee payment.
- You may take the Placement Test at 8:00 AM on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
- Thursday and Friday: Orientation.
- Friday: Orientation & Schedules - all students must complete the Immigration Orientation and Quiz before receiving their class schedules.
Transportation in Tucson
Sun Tran Bus
The city public bus system has routes to most parts of the city. You can pick up a current bus schedule in C202. Inside you will find information about prices and bus passes. It is easy to get from the university to the four shopping Malls on the bus. When you are reading the schedule, be sure that you look at the right time. There are different schedules during the week and weekends and holidays.
- wear helmet and lock up bike
- Bicycles are a good way to travel around the campus and to apartments nearby. Riders should know the regulations for bicycle riding and should ride carefully.
- Bicycle Registration is free, and it is a very good idea to register your bicycle with Parking and Transportation to help identify your bike if it is stolen.
Owning a Car
Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division
Parking on campus
Students and visiting scholars operating an automobile or motorcycle on campus, must register this vehicle with Parking and Transportation Services, and display an appropriate permit in its proper location at all times. In order to park in the university parking lots, you MUST purchase a parking permit from Parking and Transportation.
If you drive a car in Arizona, you must have a valid driver's license. You can download a copy of the Driver's License Manual from the internet. You may apply for a driver's license and take the driver's test at any Motor Vehicle Division office. Take your passport, your I-20, your I-94 and your Cat Card.
If you need an ID card to show that you are 21 and you don't drive a car, you may go to any driver's license office and ask for an Arizona ID card. You must show your passport and I-94, I-20 and passport.
Food & Dining
The new student union on campus offers a wide variety of food. In addition, within walking distance of CESL there are many other places to eat. There are a number of ethnic restaurants where CESL students can find food very similar to home. There are Arabic, Asian, Mexican, and Italian restaurants very near. Be sure to check the Wildcat for coupons to save money. Tucson has hundreds of restaurants with cuisines from all over the world.
It is customary in restaurants where your order is taken by a wait person at your table to tip 15-20% of your total food check. This is not necessary where you pick up your food in a deli, cafeteria or fast-food restaurant. Do not tip gas station attendants, persons who carry packages in stores, or restroom attendants in stores. However, it is customary to tip the stylist who cuts, shampoos and styles your hair; the barber; a valet parker who parks your car; the bellboy in the hotel who carries your bags; the red cap at the airport or train station; and taxi drivers.
In the U.S. you must be 21 years old to drink alcohol. You must show ID to drink alcohol in bars and restaurants. Alcohol is not allowed in university residences on campus. Never drive if you have been drinking. If you have been drinking, call a taxi to take you home. Do not drink and drive!